14.11.10

the battle we won

Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao has yet again proven to the world that we, Filipinos, are mighty warriors.

I was waiting for the walk sign at a busy intersection when I had the guts to talk with a random American stranger. We exchanged a few lines as to what was the event that day, which stars were coming, bla bla… when suddenly I told him to watch Pacman’s fight that week. Maybe he got a little surprised why a sweet innocent looking young girl like me, ehem, would invite him to watch a brutal and bloody sport like boxing.

I am not really a fan of boxing. Throwing uppercuts and jabs and distorting your opponent’s face aren’t what I call entertainment. But hey, you can’t blame me. 

One thing I’ve realized is that when you are in a foreign place, you can’t help but be proud of your own roots, what they call Filipino pride, and show off to the people of the world the gazillion reasons why you love your country despite of the known fact that it is a third world country.

It would such be shame promoting Pacman and yet not watching his fight so I did. And I enjoyed. Really.

So the next time I find myself talking with a random foreigner in the street, I have something to share: “Have you seen Manny Pacquiao’s fight? He was awesome! Poor Margarito's handsome face..” 

I just have to make sure I’m not talking with a Mexican. lol

No comments: