19.8.11

Am I Enough

Yesterday my brother asked me to listen to a talk in a website called TED.com and relate it to an economic theory. Being the nice ate that I am, I obliged (mainly because he would do the task of cooking for me) and found myself mesmerized by the overflow of awesome ideas that could one day change the world (or are already changing the world). 

I came across Brene Brown's talk on how it means to be vulnerable and overcoming vulnerability in order to genuinely love yourself and others. Loving yourself is having the COURAGE, the courage to tell the story of who you are with your whole heart. The COMPASSION to be kind to yourself first before you can be to others in order to CONNECT with them. And this connection happens when you let go of what you think you are and just be who you really are. VULNERABILITY is seeing beauty in your own imperfections and when you do, you would be able to say "I am enough".

In one of the comments, I found this equally nice words by Tao Te Ching which may have inspired that talk:
"To be whole, let yourself break.To be straight, let yourself bend.To be full, let yourself be empty.To be new, let yourself wear out.To have everything, give everything up. 
Knowing others is a kind of knowledge;knowing yourself is wisdom.Conquering others requires strength;conquering yourself is true power.To realize that you have enough is true wealth.Pushing ahead may succeed,but staying put brings endurance.Die without perishing, and find the eternal. 
To know that you do not know is strength.Not knowing that you do not know is a sickness.The cure begins with the recognition of the sickness.
Knowing what is permanent: enlightenment.Not knowing what is permanent: disaster.Knowing what is permanent opens the mind.Open mind, open heart.Open heart, magnanimity."

What are you waiting for? Be vulnerable. Be the first to say 'I love you'. Apologize. Forgive. Love.

No comments: